Primal Mud Run 2011: I Survived!

Last Saturday I did something I never thought I’d do: I did a Primal Mud Run in Warrenton, Virginia. I had been training to the best of my ability despite a weak ankle, which I know now that I need to get physical training for, to prepare for this event. It was a three mile run peppered with obstacles to overcome.
Was I ready for it? No.
The first challenge was to climb over a 10 foot wall. I had two guys, my teammates, help me over the wall, but I dropped down hard on my feet. Ow. That was a shocker, but I kept going.
Then there were the heavy tractor wheels to try to pick up and drop eight times. I had the rude awakening that I was definitely not ready for this kind of challenge. I could barely pick them up, nevertheless flip them over! Thankfully, I had help getting them up so I could push them over.
The shock wasn’t over yet. There was a 15 foot rope wall I was to climb up and over. If you know me, I have a fear of heights, but it isn’t as bad as perhaps some people. Yet, climbing up there was unnerving. On top of that, it called upon a lot of strength I didn’t have in the midst of trying to deal with a cold wind blowing against me. I pushed through knowing I needed to do it. It took a lot of my focus to keep my eyes on the rope and take one step at a time as I climbed up to the top and over the top. I still feel the fear as I swung my leg over to the other side and made my way down. I was very happy to have my feet back on the solid ground again. I ran through a tunnel and down a hill to where I was faced with another big challenge. I was to carry a 30 pound bag and walk through frigid creek water. As the water climbed higher on my legs and up to my waist line, I felt my body go numb where the water had touched.
“What was I thinking?!” I began to doubt my strength in doing this, but I kept telling myself, “I’m not quitting this. I will make it through, damn it.”
Believe me; I am thankful for God’s grace that day because I’ve never sworn so much under my breath in my life.
I survived swimming through a frigid lake (which I later found out to be fifty degrees in temperature!), which was where I lost my glasses when I had to swim under the barrels they had placed there. I can remember the ghastly feeling of shock when I tried to come up for air after the first barrel. The cold water took my breath away. Once I got out, my teammates asked me, “Do you want to stop?” “NO! Keep going… I’ll be fine. I can see enough to basically see where I’m going.”
I walked off the shock of the cold… As long as I kept my legs moving, the cold didn’t affect me so much. I was asked, “Do you think you can jog?” I nodded. Then I see more walls to climb over. I groaned. I kept going. The jog got my blood pumping and felt a little better as we went along. I wouldn’t have been able to overcome the walls without my two teammates. One would push me up to where I could swing my legs over, and once the other guy got over, they helped me down. It was like that through most of the race. There were some challenges I was able to do on my own – But not without any pain. I felt the insides of my legs get beaten up every time I swung my leg over some high wooden hurdles, and when I found myself needing to go in the cold water, the pain was numbed. I pulled myself up one wall with a rope’s aid. Thankfully, I was strong enough to do that on my own!
There was one challenge I knew I couldn’t do. It was an ascending/descending monkey bars. I knew I didn’t have the strength to do that one, and my hands were still swollen from having to climb that rope wall at the beginning of the race. ( I know now I will leave my rings at home. I could feel my wedding band pinching my finger.) The rule was if you couldn’t complete a challenge, you were to do twenty burpees. Trying to do them with heavy wet pants covered in hay and mud is a challenge in itself! I had to do them in sets of five to actually finish them, but I was stopped at eighteen and told to go ahead and get going. I was relieved.
But my relief was short lived; I had to deal with large rolls of hay/straw to climb over. Again, I was thankful for a very tall boy who ran with me and his dad, for he was able to get over to the other side to help pull me to where I could swing my leg over. We had five of them to tackle with a few walls and tires to go through. After our last hay bale, I started to jog again. “We’re almost to the end!” I could hear the Hallelujah chorus in my head. I knew at the end there was one last obstacle to endure, and that one I was anxious for. I was going to crawl in the mud! Believe it or not, I was actually looking forward to that. I crawled through that mud exhausted, but once I got to the end, the three of us who ran together locked arms and crossed the finish line together.
We didn’t run for the time this time around. We went through it to finish it. It took us an hour and forty-five minutes to finish it. I have bruises in the insides of my legs, on one shin, on my finger, a strained Achilles Heel, and a very sore upper body. Yeah. It’s worth it.
Well, there you have it. That’s what I did this past Saturday. It was the first time, and it’s not going to be the last time. I am hoping to do this again next year, and to also do it with more people than just the two I ran with. They were awesome, and they are also going to be with me next year. We have hopes of creating a youth group event with our church to partake in this challenge. It would be an experience they’ll never forget.
In hindsight, I will admit that I learned more about myself than just my strength. Enduring this also revealed some things about me I hope to change. It’s definite the swearing has to change. I know that I need to hold myself to a better standard, especially when I’m representing Christ. I didn’t realize how much of a potty mouth I have. When you are in pain or shock, self-control sometimes goes out the window… But it doesn’t have to be that way. I’ll be praying and working on that part of myself this year. It is especially important when I hope to be a role model to the youth in our church.


About coffeenut79

I am a mother to two CODAs, and if you know what I mean by that, than you would know I am deaf. I am an artist in many ways, and writing is one of the mediums I love working in. View all posts by coffeenut79

2 responses to “Primal Mud Run 2011: I Survived!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: